RECIPE: Almond and Raisin Cookies
These cookies are going down an absolute treat at the moment! They are grain free, egg free, dairy free (optional) and refined sugar free, and basically a mouthful of chewy cookie heaven! It took a while to get the perfect recipe to statisfy my cravings for a cookie that you could dip into a cup of tea, but this one has ALL the right stuff.
I've been serving them up to all my clients, as a way to lull them into the idea that GAPS can be, like, TOTALLY YUM! Ha ha, suckers ;-)
Just kidding, people: but remember, as with all sweet food, it feeds yeast, so these are to be considered a rare treat, mkay??
Start by setting your oven to 175C/ 350F.
Ingredients: (makes 24 cookies)
2.5 cups Organic almond meal
1/2 tsp unrefined salt (himalayan or rock salt)
1/2 cup coconut oil or ghee (the ghee gives it a lovely buttery taste)
1/4 cup raw organic honey
2 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic raisins or sultanas (make sure there are no preservatives in them, like sulphites)
1 T dairy kefir or yoghurt*
1/2 tsp baking soda
*optional, you can leave it out if you are dairy free: the recipe still works without it.
1. Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the raisins into your blender bowl, making sure that the baking soda and yoghurt go in together (if you are using the yoghurt). The acid in the yoghurt helps to activate the baking soda, which helps the cookies to rise ever so slightly
2. Blend on medium until all the ingredients are well mixed (Thermomix speed 5).
3. Add the raisins in, and blend them on your lowest setting so they mix in but don't get cut up (Thermomix speed 1)
4. Using a tablespoon, spoon a portion out onto a tray lined with baking paper. Seperate the portions by about 1.5 inches, as they spread while cooking. I use 2 trays to get all 24 cookies baked in one go.
5. Put them in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes
6. Remove and allow them to cool on a rack until they go all crunchy and gooey!